Tuesday 24 January 2023

The Glow Fleet Grows and a New to Me Radio

(Originally Published on July 18th, 2022) 


I've been looking for a more relaxed glow aircraft to get up while I sort out the 40-sized pattern ship. I've been building a Live Wire Champion, but that's going slowly as I'm too busy with work.


I was in one of my LHS's on Friday looking for glow plugs, and I ended up getting offered a kit-built Kadet LT-40 on consignment for a superb price, very little more than the cost of the brand new and never run 46AXII installed in it. It just needs a battery, receiver and break-in. 

I broke down and bought it. Turns out it also came with plans, paperwork, a Kwik-Start XL and a radio, namely a Futaba 9ZAP WC2 on Ch50 with receiver and a bunch of spare servos, a fresh NiMH pack for the radio was installed. Oddly the receiver was not installed in the aircraft, although the radio had been programmed.

Coincidentally I have an FrSky DFT module that was in my T6FG/K and fits the 9ZAP. 

So I picked up the package, a fresh 5-cell RX pack as well as the #6 glow plug I was actually after (I'd burned out the plug on the Rossi 45). Got home, installed the FrSky TD R10 I'd picked up a while back for my Valiant 10cc (ended up putting an SR8 in there instead) and I just need to balance it out now.

I'm running the LT-40 on my X20 for now. I hope to maiden it Friday or Saturday.

The 9ZAP? Well I pulled the DFT from the T6FG/K and installed it, grabbed an electric Das Ugly Stik I acquired a while back but had not setup yet, installed a D4R-II in it, bound it up and got the install sorted. Maidened the combo yesterday. The 9ZAP is a great feeling radio, but man that's some odd programming. Everything is working except Throttle Cut for now. I'll sort that out later. The Ugly Stik? Well it flies like a Stik, so I'm quite happy with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glow Adventures Pt3

(Originally Published Aug 11, 2022)  Yesterday was a lovely day of low wind and a great day to get out. As seems to be the norm at the club,...