Tuesday 24 January 2023

More Glow Musings

(Originally Published June 25th, 2022) 


Got out Thursday and cleared to fly at my new club.


I had to join another club because none of the clubs I was a member at allowed glow/gas stuff (two soaring clubs and one dedicated electric club). That said, the Humber Valley Flyers are good folks, the field is great and it's closer to my place than any other local club. 

While I was there I got the CFI to help me get my Rossi 45 up and running in the pattern ship it's in, and check that out. CG looks OK for a maiden, but probably will end up getting tweaked. The Rossi needed some more cleanup, the needle was all gummed up, but it did start right up and ran OK once some fuel got through it. It did loosen up every engine mount screw pretty badly (one was visibly backed out about 5mm after a few minutes running) so I had to pull the engine out, check that the mounts did indeed have blind nuts (and not just tapped hardwood rails), then re-installed with blue loctite. Hopefully it will get a maiden next time.

I'll probably need to get some Omega 15% to really wake the motor up, but I'll get used to the ship on 5% for now.

Oh yeah, I keep acquiring more engines.

Went to the Orillia Swap/Fun fly (great event) and picked up an OS 46FX (perfect for that DL-107 One Design 40), an Enya .19 and a 20-sized Kaos variant on floats with a Magnum 25/Pro in it, plus another flight box that's better suited for my needs than the first one I got. Was even gifted a starter and a NiCD Glow Igniter. Pretty good haul and a fun event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glow Adventures Pt3

(Originally Published Aug 11, 2022)  Yesterday was a lovely day of low wind and a great day to get out. As seems to be the norm at the club,...