Friday 16 December 2022

Welcome!

 Welcome to the new home for my RC-related blogging.

I've been blogging for a while over on RC Groups, with my blog located here:

mawz's Blog

However the lack of categorization has made it quite hard to find older posts, which is an issue when I'm linking to old posts explaining something, especially one of the multiple guide's I've published for ETHOS. This new blog supports labels, so I can relatively quickly categorize posts by type and make older posts easier to find.


So, who am I and what do I do.



At the field with my TANDEM X20 and an E-Flite Ultimate 3D


My name is Adam Maas, I'm also well known as 'mawz' on web forums. I'm an avid aeromodeller, photographer and general history buff who grew up around the aviation industry. I'm also an electrical engineer with training in analog design, rf design and communication systems, although I've worked in IT almost my whole career. 

I'm a balsa builder, a glider guider and a radio programming nerd. My aermodelling activities are focused on sport and classic pattern flying, including use of glow engines, and soaring. I'm a holder of the LSF SAP Level II achievement and compete locally in F3K, Thermal Duration and F3L disciplines, flying both modern carbon fibre sailplanes from 1.5m-4m and classic wood designs. 

In radio terms, I'm very familiar with Spektrum Airware and OpenTX operating systems and most radios which run those systems, but my primary focus and interest today is on FrSky's ETHOS operating system and TANDEM & TWIN Radios. I also dabble with ELRS and occasionally with other radio systems.

I am very much an FrSky guy, I help manage the ETHOS Feedback Github as a volunteer ('mawzthefinn' on Github), I'm an ETHOS Beta tester and am under NDA with FrSky. That means two things.

1. There is some stuff where I simply cannot answer, due to the NDA

2. For multiple reasons you will not find me recommending radios from the MPM radio vendors. My recommendations come from my personal experience, not any messaging from FrSky.

This is not because FrSky gave me free stuff or anything. I've been using FrSky gear since 2015, and TANDEM radios with ETHOS since mid-2021, retiring my last active use of Spektrum gear in mid-2021 and my RadioMaster gear in mid-2022. I got in contact with FrSky in the fall of 2022 to become a Beta tester because of my good experience and strong support for TANDEM and ETHOS, plus my activities in the community. 

This blog will have two focuses

1. FrSky gear and its use, especially programming ETHOS

2. My adventures with balsa airplanes and glow engines, as I learn the ins and outs of glow power, which I'm new to, not having used it since I was a kid in the late 80's.

Posts will be labelled so you can easily find all the ETHOS stuff quickly. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Glow Adventures Pt3

(Originally Published Aug 11, 2022)  Yesterday was a lovely day of low wind and a great day to get out. As seems to be the norm at the club,...