Tuesday 24 January 2023

Glow Adventures pt 2

(Originally Published Aug 6, 2022) 


Well, it turns out the 46AXII on my LT-40 doesn't like a 10x6, or at least doesn't like it at the moment. It runs fine on the setup table, but dies at idle the moment I put it out to taxi. Looks like it doesn't quite load the engine enough, the moment it unloads at all, it dies at idle. Note the APC Scimitar prop that was on it before was actually an 11x6 (I checked afterwards, was wrong on what size it was)


Note I only have 4-5 tanks through the engine right now (from new), it will probably loosen up some more as I get more fuel through it. 

Put a Master Airscrew 11x6 on for now and it's quite happy again. I'll keep flying it as is, wouldn't be surprised if the bigger prop helps haul this larger aircraft around, the LT-40 is a lot of airframe for a 40-45, even if the weight is reasonable.

Right now I just need to get used to flying a 70" span aircraft, flying glow and the new field as well. I'm so used to the field at the other club that I'm nervous landing at the new club, especially since there seems to always be a serious crosswind every time I go out. Need to get used to crosswind landings for sure, and cross controlling/crabbing on landing. 

In all, I just need some hours on the sticks (and in tuning engines), and well probably moving the CG back a bit slowly, the LT-40 is currently in the forward half of the range and I suspect I'll like it a bit better more aft. 

I am really enjoying flying glow so far. There's something of a ritual to it that just isn't present when flying electric, and I like that ritual (the same way I enjoy winch and histart launch over electric launch for sailplanes). Plus the smell is nostalgic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glow Adventures Pt3

(Originally Published Aug 11, 2022)  Yesterday was a lovely day of low wind and a great day to get out. As seems to be the norm at the club,...