Friday 16 December 2022

Gotchas with Free Mixing for Throttle on ETHOS

 I've taken to using a pair of Free mixes for throttle on my electric aircraft to free T3 (Throttle Trim in Mode 2) for use as a gain control.


I also now use a Flight Mode for Throttle Cut, it is the highest priority FM (right after Default).

What does that gain me?

1. Throttle Cut is displayed on the screen when active, like any other FM. This makes it VERY easy to see if Throttle Cut is active
2. My Throttle Cut overrides all mixes to the Throttle Channel(s) due to use of the Lock mixer type. I've not tested to see if the canned Throttle Cut does the same.
3. I can use the FM to enable or lock out other functions like an SxR Self-Check mix, or landing gear.

What does it cost me:

1. Timer functionality. All 3 of the canned Throttle triggers for Timers no longer work. I use LSW's as an alternative, but they only replace two of the canned triggers, not the proportional one (where timer speed is tied to throttle position)
2. Potential Issues with creating new Flight Modes. Adding a flight mode requires editing the Throttle Cut mix as new FM's are active on all mixes by default.
3. More complex setup. I now have two mixers to maintain. 
4. Throttle cut overrides some other FM functionality, if I have to use it in flight I lose flaps/gear/etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glow Adventures Pt3

(Originally Published Aug 11, 2022)  Yesterday was a lovely day of low wind and a great day to get out. As seems to be the norm at the club,...