Saturday 31 December 2022

Dipping My Toes Back Into Glow Power

 (This article was originally published on June 2nd, 2022)

When I got back into the hobby in 2015 after a 25-ish year absence, I started with sailplanes. Seeing DLG's on youtube had got me interested in the hobby again. I fairly quickly added electrics to the mix, initially electric-launch gliders then moving into power aircraft. And that's really where I stayed for the last 6-ish years.

I'd acquired a few glow engines in that period, either given to me or bought for a few dollars. But I'd just stuck them in a box in storage. I did start building a Sig Wonder last year intending on powering it with an OS 15LA, but that project also got shelved. I also picked up a flight box with basic gear at that time.

However over the last few weeks I seem to have gone glow mad. I've acquired a number of new engines and kits for those engines and am well on the way to completion of one of those kits.

What have I acquired

1. OS Max 10 FP - pretty much ready to bolt on & fly (bought)
2. OS Max 10 FSR - needs some cleanup, poor compression (given by the guy who sold me the 10FP)
3. K&B Sportster 20 - A little sticky, but looks ready to run otherwise (bought)
4. OS Max-S 35 RC - NIB, even has the prop nut spacer. (given to me by a kit seller, the one I got the HoB kits from)
5. YS FZ53 - Good shape but definitely used. (bought for a low, low price)
6. Saito FA-180 - I wanted the engine test stand that it was on, came with the engine. Good shape, good price, what the bloody hell am I going to do with a 180?
7. Rossi 45? - Definitely a Rossi, definitely either a 40 or 45, likely a 45. Came installed in a 40-sized pattern ship and the price was right for the engine alone, let alone a PNP Pattern ship of my favourite style (late 70's classic pattern, pre-ballistic)

What I had before:

1. 2 random Cox 049's in unknown condition
2. OS Max 15 LA - bought new for the Sig Wonder
3. OS Max 25 SF - swap meet buy a while back
4. OS Max 40 FP - cheap swap meet buy a while back - always wanted to stick this in a trainer (when I was a kid I had one in a trainer, it was the only RC plane I ever owned then that actually flew)

In terms of kits:

GP Ultimate 40 - NIB kit, all complete. (bought) - Will get the YS53
HoB P-51D Mustang 40-sized (49") - bought half completed - was given the 35RC for this
HoB Pete'n'Paul - half completed, needs some fixing (given by the same guy I bought the P-51 from) will likely get the OS 25SF I bought years ago
Midwest Live Wire Champion MkIII - NIB, currently building. Will get the 15LA I bought last year for the Sig Wonder (I'll just get another 15LA for the Wonder)
Hobby Hangar DL-107 One Design 40 - NIB kit, 40 sized scale model of the One Design homebuilt. Not sure what engine I'll go with here, as I have no suitable engine. The YS is already spoken for and the 40FP is too mild.

I do have one other kit lying around, a Sig Kadet Senior I bought last winter. That will probably get the 40FP, which is a perfect match for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glow Adventures Pt3

(Originally Published Aug 11, 2022)  Yesterday was a lovely day of low wind and a great day to get out. As seems to be the norm at the club,...